Friday, April 4, 2014

Digital portrait

 Hi fellow artists !

A couple of weeks ago I also did a Workshop with my co-students. I love doing digital portrait paintings, and I do it quite often. So I wanted to share my way and maybe
you can learn some new methods.

For this workshop I showed the process of a digital portrait painting I recenlty made for my boyfriend as a holiday gift.

A tip: use a BIG picture with a high resolution. This will make it easier to see all the details.

I work on a wacom intuos 4 and I used Adobe Photoshop cs5.1.

You might find that I work kind of diffrently, but this just works for me, experiment for your self what works the best your you !


For the begining I don't work with lines but try to train the eye to find the right porportions. I colour pick a lot and put all the colours in the right places. If I have enough I start blending the colours.

When I have worked on a piece for several minutes I flip the canvas so my eyes dont get used to it and then the horror starts ! Everything is WRONG !!!

But that's okay, just use the liquify tool in Photoshop (shortcut: shift+ctrl+X) a lot. With that tool you can transform the object easily !

I only use guidance lines when I can't seem to find where the error is.

I repeat the process several times and start working more on the details. Dont forget to add everything, fine wrinkels, freckels etc. This realy makes a painting come to life !

This is a nice way to train your artist eye, with proportion, how colours are made up and a good portfolio piece !

I hope you have fun and can make somebody very happy with your painting.

Denise.



0 comments:

Post a Comment